My blog has moved! Redirecting...

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit http://www.brisbanedevoured.com/ and update your bookmarks.

Brisbane Devoured: Guzman Y Gomez

June 27, 2011

Guzman Y Gomez

Guzman y Gomez Mexican Taqueria Fortitude Valley on Urbanspoon
www.guzmanygomez.com

It has taken us a while to get there, but given the sudden onslaught of Mexican eateries invading Brisbane, we decided we must start to sample them. All of these new Mexican places seem to be in the form of casual takeaway dining though, and I am wondering if there will be one that arrives that might be slightly more upmarket?
We noted plenty of Guzmans the last time we visited Sydney, however didn’t manage to try any when we were there. 

The Guzman in the Emporium complex in the Valley seems fairly out of place in a centre that is quite posh frankly. But it certainly attracts the patrons, we were there for a Monday lunch outing and the seating area was quite crowded along with them doing quite a takeaway trade as well. 

L’s eyes lit up once he saw the help-yourself sliced jalapenos and three types of Tabasco sauce in pump form.



I decided on the Beef Guerrerro Burrito, and L ordered three types of soft shell tacos; the Spicy Chicken Guerrero, the Beef Chipotle, and the Barramundi, with a side of guacamole. 

The Burrito was filled with shredded beef, cheese, rice, salsa and a black bean mixture that was decidedly mucousy and almost put me off eating it (although I am not sure if it was the beans or the cheese). I definitely wished that I ordered the Beef Chipotle burrito instead for a bit of spicy flavour however the beef in my burrito was definitely tasty. Once I got past the mucusy beans, I quite enjoyed it.


L’s tacos were very hard to eat, and he ended up with most of it all over his hands, however he gave the thumbs up to all of the 3 different flavours, and ended up drenching them in Chipotle Tabasco sauce. 


The guacamole was decidedly bland and tasteless, we don’t recommend ordering this as you can easily make a better one at home. 

I also got that “brick in the stomach” feeling which is common after eating Mexican (however could still find room for some macarons from Belle Epoque).
All in all, Guzman is a good alternative to a fast food lunch but is probably only mildly better than our local food court Salsas. 

Onwards to the next Mexican!

Love,
C

2 comments:

  1. I agree. I have had Guzman twice and really wasn't very impressed. That said, once was in Sydney and one in Brisbane so I will give the Bris version another go, just haven't had the opportunity yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no! I'm heading there this weekend. Heard great things about it but mucousy beans sounds grooossss. I'm rarely in the mood for Mexican but recently just feel like something messy and heavy.

    ReplyDelete