My blog has moved! Redirecting...

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit http://www.brisbanedevoured.com/ and update your bookmarks.

Brisbane Devoured: Strawberry Bread

November 14, 2010

Strawberry Bread

Because L does ALL the cooking at home (I hate cooking dinner), I occasionally start feeling guilty and feel like I should cook something, anything.
So lately I have been trying to get into baking and desserts. So far I have had a few attempts at slices and biscuits, and a failed chocolate cake. I also don’t have many of the utensils required for baking, so am slowly accumulating various tins etc.
I found this recipe for strawberry bread by trolling through other foodie blog sites. I am a big fan of banana bread and I love strawberries and so this seemed interesting. 

The recipe link is:

I usually spend just as much time on lining the cake tin as I do mixing up the batter. I like to painstakingly get it perfectly lined until there are no creases left, and in doing so usually waste about three metres of baking paper. Oh well......

This strawberry bread was super easy to make.
Ingredients:
  •  1/2 cup butter
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 3 eggs
  • 2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 2 cups flour
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/2 cup sour cream
  • 2 cups strawberries, quartered 

Procedure:
  • Using an electric mixer, beat together butter and sugar until fluffy. Add eggs one at a time and then vanilla, until mixture is creamy and combined
  • in a separate bowl, combine flour, cinnamon, baking soda, baking powder, salt. With the mixer on low, add the flour in three additions and the sour cream in two additions until just combined.
  • gently fold in the strawberries
  • pour batter into a greased loaf pan. place in a preheated oven (180 degrees celsius) and bake for one hour, or until slightly browned on top and a skewer will come out clean
  • let it cool in the loaf pan for 30 minutes before removing 





The only alteration I made was to use vanilla yoghurt instead of sour cream as I had a huge tub of it in the fridge. I think it turned out really well regardless.


The end verdict? Nice to have as a breakfast item or with a cup of tea, but not really sweet enough to have for dessert. As suggested on the site I obtained it from, if you wanted to make it sweeter then a nice glaze on top would be the way to go. I liked the way the strawberries went super gooey inside. The vanilla yoghurt in the recipe made the bread nice and moist as well. 

Love,
C

No comments:

Post a Comment